Tumblr has been in existence since 2007 and has generally been liberal with regard to content posted by users.
However, it recently declared the war on all sensitive, violent, or NSFW content. Along with a plethora of posts and blogs that were posted, the Safe Mode toggle button disappeared from Tumblr.
However, not everything is gone. There are still blogs with more controversial content that were flagged, but not taken down.
Tumblr’s Safe Mode
Safe Mode has been around for a while and has, in some form or another, been a standard feature on sites such as Tumblr. Millions on millions of users who create content each day cannot be left to their own devices.
On Reddit for instance you have the option of allowing and prohibiting NSFW content from their feeds. However, Tumblr has taken a totally different method of doing so.
Recently, Tumblr has purged a large amount of offensive and sensitive content from its website. During the purge of the site, it was discovered that the Safe Mode button disappeared from the Account Settings, putting the users in Safe Mode. A lot of bloggers were denied accessing their blogs due to sensitive content.
If you’ve come across a blog and see a warning message about the blog that you’re looking at might contain sensitive media this means it’s been reported in the eyes of the public or judged insensitive to be viewed as inappropriate by Tumblr’s Tumblr team.
While you aren’t able to switch off Safe Mode, however, there are methods to get around Safe Mode containing sensitive media this means that it’s been reported in the eyes of the general public, or judged unacceptable to be considered inappropriate by the Tumblr team.
Although you cannot switch it off, however, there are methods to get around Safe Mode and use the site as you please. Let’s explore ways to navigate around Safe Mode on computers, Android as well as iOS devices.
Take note in your mind that if under 18 years old, there’s no option to turn off the Safe Mode in Tumblr.
If you’re a member of Tumblr you are able to modify your experience and select the content you’d like to see and what content is shared by the Tumblr community as well as content Tumblr may consider to be sensitive or inappropriate. This is how to bypass Safe Mode via a computer browser.
Note this method works with Windows, Linux, and Mac laptops and computers.
- Start your preferred browser.
- Navigate to https://www.tumblr.com.
- Click the login button located in the middle of the screen.
- Enter your email address and select Next.
- Select to select the “Use password to log in” option. If you are unable to remember your password, just select the “Send me a magic link” button. Tumblr will email you a login link to the email address you’ve previously created.
- After you’ve signed in, you’ll be taken into your account dashboard. Browse around.
- If you click the link or article that takes you to a dangerous blog and you click on the link, it will display a Safe Mode warning will come up.
- Select”Go to my Dashboard” or click on the “Go to my dashboard” link.
- The problematic blog will be displayed on the right-hand part of your browser.
- Hit on the “View this Tumblr” button.
- The blog will be loaded into the space that is designated for it.
Keep in mind that you’ll need be going through the procedure every time you visit the blog that you want to view. If you frequent often a blog that is flagged it is necessary to permit it to be this every time you want to go there.
If you do not have an account or aren’t willing to sign into your account, you can utilize an app from a third party that allows you to use Tumblr without being blocked by Safe Mode. Tumbex is an excellent alternative. It is a user-friendly interface and is simple to use. Use these instructions to locate the blogs that have been flagged on Tumblr:
- Start your browser and navigate to https://tumbex.com .
- Input the name of the article you wish to locate into the uppermost of the two boxes for searching and then press Search.
- If there are any entries Tumbex will notify you that they exist, but keep them hidden.
- Simply click on it to activate the Safe Search toggle switch.
- Choose the kind of content you wish to view and click the button to reload.
- If you’re looking to find blogs, you can try using the second of the search bar.
- Return to the Tumbex homepage.
- You can type the URL of the site you’d prefer to look at in the search bar below.
- Enter the code or click on”Go.
- If the blog is still in existence, Tumbex will display it in full.
Android users have one method to get around safe Mode for Tumblr. It’s by enabling each of the sensitive blogs from the dashboard each time they’d like to have an eagle’s view. This is how you do it:
- Install and download the Tumblr application via Google Play. If you already have the app, do not skip this step.
- Open the Tumblr app on the Home screen of your device.
- Log in, if not already signed in.
- Once you have reached the Dashboard Begin exploring Tumblr.
- If you attempt to access the blog that’s flagged as insecure, you’ll see the same warning message that appears on your desktop versions of this website. Press the “View this Tumblr” button.
iOS users are almost exactly the same way as Android users. You can’t disable the Safe Mode filter in the settings, however, you can view blogs manually that wasn’t deleted in the NSFW content hunt. This is how you can access sensitive content using the iOS application:
- Install and download the Tumblr application via the App Store. If you already have Tumblr, go to the second step.
- Open the app and log into the app if required.
- In the console, begin browsing Tumblr.
- If you click the link to a prohibited Tumblr You’ll receive the same message in the Android or Desktop versions. Click on the “View this Tumblr” button.
Living on the Edge
If you believe that Tumblr should not be able to decide for its users what kind of content is suitable and what isn’t but you’re still able to decide on the matter in the hands of your personal.
While you aren’t able to disable Safe Mode, you can circumvent it.
What do you think about Tumblr and the content restrictions?
Do you think Tumblr increase its security measures for content or do you think things are getting too much already?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.