The majority of laptops today have backlit keyboards, designed to make typing in dim light conditions more comfortable. The majority of keyboards come with glowing letters and backlight illumination but sometimes, this cool feature won’t seem to function. If this happens on your laptop, the issue is usually not related to the keyboard.
If you’re a Windows 10 user, the backlit keyboard feature is likely disabled in the Settings application. It’s all you need to do is be aware of where the settings are located and how to adjust them accordingly. Continue reading to learn how to use your keyboard that is backlit within Windows 10.
Windows 10 Backlit Keyboard Adjustments
There are a variety of methods to turn on the keyboard’s backlights and alter their brightness of them in Windows 10. The options are based on the brand and model that you have on your Windows laptop.
One is available through one is through the Windows Mobility Center, and another option is via the native application which is included along with the laptop. Let’s take a look at how they operate.
Method 1–Use the Windows Mobility Center
The first option involves opening your Control Panel and navigating to the Windows Mobility Center to get the backlight for your computer. This is what you need to do:
- Press the Start button, then search for Control Panel in the search bar.
Once you open the Control Panel window opens, look for the Windows mobility center tab.
- Go to your section Hardware and Sound. section.
- Launch Windows Mobility Center. Open Microsoft Mobility Center and you’ll be presented with several choices. Slide the slider in the Backlight for the keyboard tab left to turn on the backlight.
- Click the tab for more options. Select Lighting for your keyboard and choose the brightness you would like.
- Next, select the duration of your keyboard’s backlight’s auto shut down. There are options to choose between five seconds to 15 minutes, or never turning off in case you don’t wish for the backlight to shut off at the moment your laptop is idle.
- Choose OK when you are pleased with the changes you’ve made.
Method 2–Use the Native App
Many laptops come with native applications to control the brightness of the keyboard’s backlight. If you’re not sure whether or not you have an application, you can verify the system. Log on to the Internet and type the laptop’s name in the search bar of your browser. Include the phrase “Enable Keyboard Backlight” in Windows 10, and you’ll discover the settings in a matter of minutes.
Using Your Computer’s Keyboard
Based on the model, your computer could have an on-keyboard function that turns off the light.
Depending upon the type of Dell there are different keyboard functions to turn on the backlight on your keyboard.
- Dell 14 Inspiron 7000, 15, 2016, 15, 17 5000 Series.
- Inspiron 15 5000, Latitude E5550, Latitude E7450/E7470
- Dell XPS 2016 and 13
- Dell Studio 15
- There are models that could be F N+11 and Fn+9
- Certain models work using a simple Fn+Space
Fn+F4 or F5
- Asus users will be able to identify the function based on characters on keys. If there are no light symbols within the keyboard then the laptop does not have this feature.
How do I know whether my laptop has a backlight for the keyboard?
One of the most effective methods to find out whether your laptop comes with an illuminated keyboard is to check the keyboard. If you spot any of the icons of the manufacturer on the images above, then you are able to activate the backlight.
Can I connect an external keyboard to laptops?
Absolutely. The majority of wireless keyboards connect to laptops via Bluetooth or a USB port.
The Feature Is Not Working
Certain Windows 10 users reported that the backlight settings on their keyboards do not work. It’s unclear what’s causing the problem however if you’re one of the users with this issue You can always look to find solutions. What you can do is to do:
- Navigate to the Start menu and search for Troubleshooting in the search bar.
- Choose the keyboard from the menu options.
- If the troubleshooter appears Select Start to run the troubleshooter.
- The system will then look for potential issues with the laptop’s keyboard. The keyboard backlight option will be displayed. Follow the steps to turn it on.
Other causes for your keyboard’s backlight issues could be due to hardware issues or software updates. If your backlight no more functions after a drop, it could be as simple as loose wires. If you’ve updated your computer recently, you should power cycle your computer to see if it can be able to turn back on.
Type in the Dark Like a Pro
Windows 10 blocks the keyboard backlight feature on certain laptops automatically. It’s not clear why this occurs, but using the steps described above, you’ll be in a position to turn it off and set the brightness you’d like to set at any moment. It’s simple and only takes one or two minutes to finish. You will be able to type like a professional in the dark.
What are the methods you employ to adjust the brightness of the backlight of your keyboard? How bright are your keyboard’s lights and what is the auto-shutdown period for your computer? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below.